Wednesday, September 5, 2012

32 Week Update

How Far Along? 32 Weeks
Size of Baby? Well The Bump says the same thing as it did last week,15.2 to 16.7 inches long and anywhere from 2.5 to 3.8 lbs, but this time it's saying squash sized instead of pineapple.  Baby Center says he's about 3.75 lbs (the weight of a large jicima) and 16.7 inches, which is just the larger size of the range that The Bump gives.
Maternity Clothes? Maternity and BJ's t-shirts (mine are all so short!)  
Weight Gain?  Per the doctor's office visit yesterday morning, I think we're rocking about 19 lbs.
Gender? Boy! Robert Oscar
Sleep? Sleeping well! When I wake up to go pee, it's hard to get out of bed, but I manage.
Food Cravings?  Normal Jenni cravings, i.e. sugar.  Trying to reign it in though.
What I Miss? Dairy without the pain of heartburn. Sleeping on my belly or back.   
Symptoms? Heartburn, jumpy belly, and hip pain at night.
Belly Button? Out
Best Moment of the Week?  We closed on our house in Dallas!  It's a done deal, sold and no longer ours to deal with.  Yaaay!  Now we just need to finalize the purchase of the NEW house (closing is still scheduled for the 20th) and move in!  Also, we got a crib and dresser/changing table for Robert!  Yaaaay again!  One other big thing to mark off the list! 
 
Please ignore the crazy hair and the make-up-less face.  I look atrocious.

So I also went to my first OB visit here in Tulsa with a doctor that my Dallas OB had suggested.  I LOVED my Dallas OB...this one though, not so much.  I appreciate physicians that listen to what I'm saying, will talk to me and at least make an effort to get to know the person that they're treating.  I'm not expecting them to be my BFF or anything, but I'd like them to at least try to be present in the conversation when in the room with me. 

So I went to this new OB in Tulsa and answered all the normal questions with the nurse.  I explained to her that I didn't take the glucose test because I check my blood sugar on a regular basis in the morning when I get up and an hour or two after meals, and I know what it SHOULD be because I have husband and sister-in-law that are both diabetic and I'm pretty well versed in the subject.  I completely understand any physician/nurse's initial concern when they hear that I didn't take the glucose test, but after I get a chance to explain myself they typically are much more "ok" with it (again, if the doc just gets to know me they will realize that I'm a huge information nerd and love tracking crap like that and I'm going to be aware if something like a change in blood sugar trends happens).  The nurse also listened to the baby's heartbeat and took my blood pressure.  In Dallas, the doctor was always the one that listened to the heartbeat, but I guess it just depends on the practice.  I think it might show that the Dallas OB was much more "hands on" with her patients, but who really knows. 

Then the doc came in after the nurse.  The doctor basically asked me the same questions that the nurse just did (does the nurse not take notes?  Does the doc not read them before she asks me the same thing?) while looking down at her papers and when she asked me if I had taken the glucose test, I go "Actually, I opted out of it --" and before I could finish my sentence she interrupted with "It's not an option."  So I go on to explain WHY my doctor in Dallas was comfortable with me not taking it (see above explanation of blood sugar checking).  She didn't make any further protests about it, but then goes on to say, "So both your husband AND your sister-in-law have type 1 diabetes?  Is that your husband's sister?  Your baby already has bad genes!"  Hold the phone...yes, this doctor just told me that my baby has bad genes.  WHO SAYS THAT TO A FIRST TIME MOM?!?!?!?  I can only hope it was her ill attempt at humor.  I was kind of shocked and just laughed and was like, "Yeah, well it's something we're very cognizant of and something we will be watching for in the future...".  After that she just gave me a lab order to go get a CBC done to check for anemia (since normally the anemia test is done w/ the glucose test) and measured my tummy and sent me on my way.  I made another appointment, which I will be cancelling.  I told BJ what she said and he was not too happy about it (understandably). 

I've asked around and have made another appointment with another doctor here in Tulsa.  This doctor was referred to us by some of our close friends, so we have a much better feeling about this one!  We also reserved a spot in child birth classes at one of the local hospitals, so that will be SUPER helpful (starts September 18th!) and I can't wait learn some stuff, b/c I'm flying blind right now with this whole labor and delivery thing. 

Holy cow I can't believe I only have 8 more weeks (give or take!)!!

3 comments:

  1. Time is flying by for you! Congrats on closing on your house and not too much longer until you're homeowners again! I'm sorry about your first go 'round with the Tulsa OB- what a bummer that you had to go through that!I wonder if you could make a comment to your old doc in Dallas and just let her know about what you experienced so that she may not refer others to the one in Tulsa, too. I'll be thinking about you guys and wishing you an easy next 8 weeks and delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. shame to hear about the new tulsa doctor. a large majority of OBs are like that in FL so i went for a midwife that would be more hands-on. good luck with the rest of the move... i did that when i was 3 months so i can't imagine what you are going through. eric and i did the childbirthing class and ended up more frustrated and confused... so just be prepared to do more research after the class. good luck with the next few weeks!!!
    -Suzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do not look atrocious--you look fantastic!! Rosco has a very miniature but adorable home right now! I'm completely disgusted/appalled by your last doctor's visit for approximately 1 billion reasons, especially after our discussions about the absurdity of the dumb glucose test. The "bad genes" comment deserved a throat punch for sure. Here's hoping your new doctor is wonderful!

    7 weeks to go--we can do this!! Now that you've taken away any chances of our kids becoming BFF or BF/GF, we will have to teach them to read/write at a very young age so they can be pen pals.

    ReplyDelete