Thursday, May 3, 2012

I'm Still Alive...

...I promise!    I'm sorry I've been such a sucky blogger lately...but I have a good excuse!  I've been super duper tired lately because I'm...wait for it...drumroll...pregnant!  ::Cheers!  Screams!  Incredulous gasps!::  Yep, Dude and I will have a little dude or dudette this fall!  October 27 is the official due date, but let's face it, due dates are kind of a crapshoot.  So, in an effort to fill you all in on my life the past few months (because I know you're all DYING to know ::heavy sarcasm::), here's what's been goin' down.  P.S. If any of this is TMI, deal with it!  I'm pregnant and hormonal and will eat you. 

Mid February - My body is bizarre and I've never really been someone who had a "regular" cycle, and when I went off of birth control back in October I realized it might be a while before my body worked out the kinks and became normal.  However, I realized around Valentine's day that it had been a while since my last "visit" if you know what I mean.  In fact, that Friday, one of my good friends at work (who I've decided is part voodoo gypsy woman), told me that she had this weird feeling I was pregnant.  I brushed her off b/c I hadn't even told her that Dude and I were thinking about having kids at all and I obviously hadn't shared my "Huh, I wonder when I'll get my period?" thoughts with her or ANYBODY.  But that weekend, when Dude was out fishing, I took a pregnancy test.  It was one of those tests where there's two lines or one line, two lines (in two separate windows) means you're pregnant.  At first my mind was thinking it was a + or - test, and when I saw the second line I just thought it was a "-" and so it took me a minute to realize, "oh wait, crap, I think that actually means I'm pregnant...".  Then I was on a mission to get one of those fancy shmancy pregnancy tests that leave nothing to the imagination...they say "Pregnant" or "Not Pregnant" for those who need extra assurance, like moi.  Sure enough, this one said "Pregnant."  Dude was still out on the lake, but I couldn't wait til he got home (I know, major pregnancy foul), so I took a picture of the "Pregnant" read out and sent him a text saying "Um, sorry to tell you this over the phone buuuuut..." to which he replied "Caught a fish, now this, today is a good day!" (How cute is he, by the way?)  He came home pretty quick after that and we were both just kind of giggling in disbelief.  Uhhhh, we're going to have a BABY?!  What?  What do we do now??? 

So I called my doc that week, went in, peed in a cup (lovely), and based on the date of my last period and their pharmacuetical "wheel of guessing" as I call it, they told me my due date was October 7 (which we now know was completely erroneous!) and that I was about 8 weeks pregnant.  I got a referral to an OBGYN and we went to our first pregnancy appointment the next week.  Eeek!  She talked to us, had me pee in a cup (again) and drew some blood, then got called out to deliver a baby.  The doctor doesn't have an ultrasound machine in her office (boo) so she had to send me across the street to a nearby imaging center to get a sono after she had to cut our visit short.  So we went over there, and they expected me to be about 9 weeks preggo at the time of the sono.  I signed papers, then went in with Dude and got sonogrammed (I'm pretty sure I made that word up).  Unfortunately the sono tech was kind of quiet and asked me a couple of times if I'd had cramping or bleeding (signs of a miscarriage), to which I answered no and then immediately proceeded to freak out mentally.  After he'd taken all the measurements and pictures and what not, they told us that they would send the pictures to a radiologist who would read them then call our doctor and the doctor would tell us the "results."  This was our first sono, I did NOT apparently read the paperwork that I signed, and since the tech didn't really show us anything on the screen we were, understandably, both pretty upset and scared.  The doctor was obviously delivering a baby, it was already 7 p.m. and so we really wouldn't know anything until the next day.  That was one of the LONGEST nights ever. 

The next morning neither of us went to work right away, we both stayed home and waited til 8:00 so I could call the doctor's office.  At 8:00, I called and realized they opened at 8:30...oops.  So at 8:35 I called, the receptionist answered, I told her we were waiting to hear back about the sono, and she said the nurse (who would be giving me the results) was stuck in traffic and to call back in 15 minutes.  ARrrgh!  So I gave her til 9:00, called, talked to the nurse, who I think could probably tell I was freaking out, and she was able to tell me that my hormone levels/bloodwork looked great and that the sono was just "inconsistent" with the dates that I had told them (the wheel of guessing and my own bizarre body funtionality were plotting against me), so the doctor wanted me to go in and have another ultrasound the next week.  I will say that this was a relief to both Dude and myself, although still a little scary.  At least we knew the bloodwork looked good, and the nurse didn't seem super worried or anything.  Whew! 

Beginning of March - Ultrasound #2 - this time the sono tech talked to us a bit more, and actually showed us stuff on the screen, like a tiny little blob and a flicker which she said was a heartbeat!  Joy!  Relief!  REALITY!  I also read the paperwork that I signed the first time (and apparently every time I go in to get an ultrasound) that says in plain English that the ultrasound tech can't really tell you anything, and that the NORMAL procedure is to send pictures to the radiologist who will then send a report to your doctor who will then convey the results to the nervously awaiting parents to be.  If I had read that the first time I think I would have been a lot less panic-y.  Oops.  Read stuff you sign, people.  Anyways, the nurse called us and told us that the baby was measuring 5 weeks, 6 days, so we finally called our parents and told them.  They were SO excited!  Dude's mom cried and my mom was pretty much ready to jump through the phone and hug us both.  This will be the first grandbaby on either side, so both sets of parents are STOKED.  :)   My parents told both of my little brothers (they're in their 20s, I guess they're not so little anymore) and they were both super excited too...BOTH of them said, "They changed their minds?!" when my mom told them...apparently everyone thought we never ever wanted kids ever in our lives...I guess we've mellowed in our old age.  :)  Dude's sister was super suprised as well, but equally excited for us!!

Beginning of April - Ultrasound #3 - as Dude exclaimed when he saw the ultrasound... "WOW!  There's a baby in there!"  Yep!  At ultrasound we were measuring 10 weeks and 3 days, and it actually looked a lot like a BABY!  Little hands, feet, a head, a body...it was so crazy!  We got to see the heartbeat again, and just generally were in awe of the little munchkin.  We don't get another ultrasound for a while (I'm thinking the next one will be to find out if it's a boy or a girl! Yay!), but it was pretty freakin' cool.  They also gave me the updated due date of October 27 (because October 7 was obviously not right). 

Currently - I'm 14 weeks pregnant (15 weeks on Saturday), I'm starting to get a bit of a tummy and I've bought a few maternity items, but generally have been doing pretty good!  I haven't really been nauseous, although I've been SUPER tired, and I've had a few food aversions (broccoli, barf), but generally I've been pretty lucky!!  I am just one of the 90 kajillion people that I know of that are pregnant right now, so I'm glad I have a bunch of other people to go through this with! :)  I'll try to post some pictures in the next few days!  Yay! 

No comments:

Post a Comment