Wednesday, July 6, 2011

10 days down...

...20 more to go in my Whole30 challenge!  One third of the way there!  My dinner menu for this past week has looked like this:
Monday - BBQ'd pork loin chops (bbq sauce recipe below) & green beans
Tuesday - Chile Verde (like mom makes it but without the added flour)
Wednesday - Baked chicken breast seasoned with garlic salt, onion powder, paprika and pepper, and sauteed yellow onion and yellow and red bell peppers. 

I am SO looking forward to September when my TV shows arent' re-runs anymore!  One can only watch so many new episodes of Teen Mom before feeling like the world is going to hell.  And I'm not really supposed to watch Mystery Diagnosis (Dude has kind of banned me from that show since I have a tendency to think that I might have a rare brain disease if I have so much as a headache).  Right now the only thing worth watching on TV are the Harry Potter previews...and let me tell you I get giddily excited when I see them.  Someone get me off this couch, please. 

Plans this weekend include running with my Crossfit Endurance class (3 miles in the heat at 8:00 a.m...hopefully I don't die), heading to the farmers market to get some bacon or chicken or peaches or something good and local.  I may also paint (I have a big blank canvas that's just asking to be made pretty) and I need to caulk and fill the crown moulding that Dude put up this past weekend.  Perhaps a pedicure, too. :)

Son of Grok BBQ Sauce


Ingredients:
- 1 6oz can tomato paste (preferable organic)
- 1 to 1.5 cups of beef stock (I made my own but if you buy, you want it without salt)
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 of an onion
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder

Directions:
1.       Dice your onions and garlic as fine as possible. You want your BBQ sauce a little chunky but the more fine you dice these, the better the flavor will spread through the entire sauce.
2.       Sauté the onions until they’re soft.
3.       Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Whether you use 1 cup or 1.5 cups of beef stock will depend on how thick you want your sauce.
4.       Bring sauce to heat on stove with a low setting.
5.       Cover and simmer. Stir frequently and taste regularly. The longer you simmer, the more consistent your flavor will be. I simmered for 20-30 minutes.
6.       Once my sauce had cooled off a little, I threw it in the blender and puréed it a little, just to make it less chunky.  

4 comments:

  1. You should probably watch So You Think You Can Dance! :) Did that help get you off the couch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to try that bbq sauce! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, I've never watched SYTYCD...I know I need to get into it but I just never have! Maybe next week... :)

    Lora, the BBQ sauce is good...it's not sweet like most, but it's got a good tanginess to it and some heat, depending on how much chili powder you put in. My youngest brother liked it, and he doesn't like anything new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to try it! Keep sharing recipes!!! :)

    ReplyDelete