Sunday, July 3, 2011

Mmmmmm Dinner! :)

It's the day before the 4th of July (also known as the 3rd of July) and we made BURGERS!  Yum!! (How American!!)

Side note: My husband and I are on day 7 of our Whole30, which means we're paying close attention to what we're eating for 30 days...no grains (corn, wheat, rice, etc.), dairy, legumes (not a problem for me b/c I'm not a big bean fan anyway), and the hardest one...sugar (no fruit juices, no cracking out on fruit, no sugar, no sweeteners of any kind, and no added sugars in anything purchased from the grocery store, you get the picture).  If you Google "Whole30" and/or "paleo" you'll find the reasoning behind this, but basically it makes us feel loads healthier.  I've done a Whole30 before, back in February, and (unfortunately for my love of pizza and all things sweet) it really did make me get leaner, feel more energetic, sleep more soundly, my seasonal allergies were practically non-existent, and it made my skin clearer.  I had some pizza after the 30 days were over and within 2 hours I was completely congested and couldn't sleep.  Ugh. :(

Back to the burgers!  Since we're eating "clean" right now, our burgers mean no buns!  We bought a side of grass fed and finished beef from the farmers market a month ago or so...we ended up with a LOT of 80/20 ground beef (YAY!) so hamburgers are likely to be common in our household for a while.  Anyways, my husband (we'll call him "Dude") made hamburger patties and added chopped red onion, chopped hatch green chilies, balsamic vinegar and salt.  We threw 'em on the grill and they were DELICIOUS!  We put them on some green leaf lettuce and Dude made a little bit of guacamole with half of a leftover avocado, some mild jalepenos (picked from our garden!) and cherry tomatoes. 

Another side note: I have the tastebuds of a 4 year old.  Up until February, I liked ketchup only on my hot dogs and hamburgers (don't even get me STARTED with cheeseburgers, gross).  I also ate lots and lots of pepperoni pizza, chicken fingers and french fries, spaghetti, and tacos and burritos.  I have never liked guacamole. 

So I tried the guacamole with my burger...it was actually pretty good!!  Hooray for maturing taste buds!  The burger patty itself was MARVELOUS!  Kudos to the chef! 

This evening I also made our own "paleo" bbq sauce.  I took a little taste while it was simmering and it was SO GOOD!  I'm looking forward to drizzling it over some pork shoulder, chicken breast or some kind of beef roast.  I'll probably post about it when it happens :).    

4 comments:

  1. I am loving your blog already! Please post all of your delicious recipes!!! I'm really wanting to do a whole 30, but I can't make myself for some reason. I don't know what it is really... there's not much I would have to cut except fruit. What do you eat on your whole 30 when you crave something sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Whole30 is basically "strict" paleo for 30 days...then you can re-introduce things one by one afterwards to see how they make you feel...here's the link to a "Whole30" post...
    http://whole9life.com/2011/06/whole-30-v4/

    For me, I still eat fruit. I have strawberries/blueberries every morning with my breakfast. But berries in general don't spike your insulin levels and they're super high in good nutrients and stuff, so I don't worry about how much of those things I eat. Grapes, on the other hand, I could eat an entire bag of those in one sitting, so I have to seriously watch myself with those. If I'm craving something sweet at work, though, I try to have some kind of fat/protien. Almond butter or some lunch meat (or these delicious Applegate Farms Organic Beef hot dogs that are nitrate free, sugar free, blah blah blah, basically perfect hot dogs) will usually satiate my appitite...and it trains my body not to just crave sugar all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info! I really want to do this... especially since we just got back from our vacation and I cheated so much. I haven't felt my best since! I just need to (wo)man up and do it. Did you buy the Whole30 success guide?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did not buy the success guide...but we did attend one of their workshops that was put on by our Crossfit gym a little over a year ago. We've (and by "we" I really just mean my husband, lol) done a lot of research on our own...reading Robb Wolf (www.robbwolf.com), Mark Sisson (www.marksdailyapple.com), and Whole9 stuff gave us a good idea as to the "why" but we never really looked for step by step instructions or anything. I know lots of people like the success guide, per their forum, but we just never got it. It really is surprising how much better you feel though when you're doing it...I don't get the "after lunch sleepies" any more and as much as I hate getting out of bed @ 5:00 a.m., it's strangly easier when I'm eating cleanly.

    ReplyDelete