Thursday, July 14, 2011

Not your normal spaghetti...

New dinner alert!  Today we made spaghetti.  We had some frozen spaghetti sauce that we had made a lot of a few months ago...we vaccuum sealed the remaining sauce in a baggie and put it in the deep freezer and it kept very nicely!  Since normal spaghetti is definitely NOT paleo, and spaghetti squash isn't in season right now, we used zucchini!  We used one of those wide peelers and created long, thin, wide strips of zucchini and put the strips into a colander (I think we used maybe four zucchinis).  After the strips were all made and put in the colander, we salted the strips with a few pinches of kosher salt.  The salt draws out the moisture and makes the zucchini strips very flexible and noodle-y.  After about 30 minutes, we poured out all the water, rinsed the zucchini noodles and steamed them for about 5 minutes, just to get them warm.  Once they were warm (and pretty bright green) we dished out the noodles, dished out the sauce that we had re-heated in a sauce pan, and ate!  All we were missing was some parmesean cheese and wine!  Honestly, the zucchini was flavorless and had a texture VERY similar to noodles...if they were skinnier and I had my eyes closed, I'd probably be hard pressed to tell the difference!  It might not be something you'd get kids to try though...green wide "noodles" might be a bit scary for some people!  But I promise, they're pretty tasty! 

Also something to note today...my office building treated the tenants to Pacuigo's gelato this afternoon.  I have a MAJOR sweet tooth.  Gelato + Jenni = Heaven.  But instead of going downstairs and taking part, I had my bowl of grapes.  Day 18 was not ruined!  :)  I can't believe I've only got 12 more days to go!  I'm excited to try to re-introduce new things back into my diet.  Dude and I have discussed what we'll try to re-introduce first...namely butter, corn, rice and potatoes.  If corn treats us well we really want to make our own tamales! :)  Good thing there's a big Mexican grocery store nearby!  We might be able to buy some masa and make our own tamale dough...yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment